How to apply
Details on booking conditions and submitting your application form.
You must be 18 years old or older at the start of the course to be eligible to study the General English course.
Check you meet our entry requirements:
Complete the online application form:
Attach the following documents with your application form:
- Evidence of your current English language level (copy of certificate). If you are currently studying English at another institution, please also include your most recent course report;
- Sponsorship letter/financial guarantee (if applicable).
Please note that your application will not be assessed until we receive all documentation.
What happens next?
- Your application will be assessed by a member of the admissions team who will contact you to confirm the length of study you wish to apply for;
- If your application is successful, you will be asked to pay a deposit or provide evidence of financial sponsorship;
- Accept your offer online (instructions will be emailed);
- Apply for accommodation, if required.
How to pay course fees
If you are paying your own fees
We will provide instructions on how to pay online. Please do not pay your fees before you have accepted your offer. The balance of the course fees must be paid in full at least 20 working days before the start of the course.
If your fees are being paid by a sponsor
You will need to provide evidence of sponsorship in order to secure a place on the course. A sponsor letter should be attached to your application. Before you commence your studies, you must provide a financial guarantee.
Please note that the sponsorship letter needs to contain the following information:
- Must be addressed to The University of Manchester;
- Must be produced on official company letter headed paper from the sponsoring organisation/embassy and must state clearly:
- Contact name, telephone number or email;
- The full name and date of birth of the student to be sponsored;
- The title of the student's programme of study;
- The student's year of study or years of study that the sponsorship will apply to;
- A statement that the student's tuition fees (£ amount), or proportion of their fees (£ amount) will be paid upon receipt of an invoice from the University;
- If you have government funding, you should also provide a letter from the appropriate London Embassy.
Before you submit your application, it is important that you download and read a copy of the booking conditions. By submitting an application, you are confirming that you have read and understood these conditions.