How to find the Library, register and access its catalogue.
The Library of the Open Learning Centre for Languages and Academic English (OLCLAE) is situated on the lower ground floor of Samuel Alexander Building.
Opening hours - semester
Monday to Friday: 9.30am-5.00pm.
Opening hours - vacation
Monday to Friday: 9.30am-1.00pm, and 2.00pm-5.00pm.
Resources and catalogue information
The Library stocks a wide variety of materials in text, audio, CD-ROM and DVD formats, and there are a wide range of world cinema titles.
Resources are shelved by format, and corresponding items (from the same title) have the same catalogue number.
- The Open Learning Centre for Languages and Academic English (OLCLAE) catalogue
- The University of Manchester Library catalogue
- The University of Manchester Library databases page
Dictionaries for use in exams (for one-day/overnight loan) are available from OLCLAE Reception.
Audiobooks and eBooks
- LibriVox - free audiobooks from the public domain (via podcast or catalogue)
- Project Gutenberg - the oldest producer of free online books
- All staff and students of The University of Manchester - including students attending University language courses for members of the public - are entitled to register with the OLCLAE Library.
- Registration is free to all staff and students of The University of Manchester.
Security, loans and fines
- Borrowing rights are available to registered members of the OLCLAE only.
- All loans are free of charge.
- All loans are made against staff/student ID cards.
- Students may borrow up to three titles at a time (which may consist of several components, eg book, DVD, CD).
- Many resources can be borrowed for up to a week, with the option to renew the loan.
- Some reserve list resources are only available from Reception. This includes external drives for DVD/BluRay playback. In such cases, student ID is retained by the OLCLAE until return of the loan.
- Late return of materials will incur a fine: £1 per day (overnight/weekly) and £2 per day (reserve list), up to the replacement value of the item(s) borrowed.
Please note: An alarm will sound if members attempt to remove items from the Library without authorisation.
Loans can be renewed:
- in person at the OLCLAE reception
- by phone: +44 (0)161 275 3013 or +44 (0)161 275 7960
- via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full details of the cataloguing system and loans policy are in the Library User Guide, which is also available from Reception.
The UCAE Library stocks resources in the following languages:
Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bemba, Bengali, British Sign Language (BSL), Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Cantonese, Catalan, Chinese (Mandarin), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Flemish, French, Gaelic (Scottish), German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Kurdish, Lakota, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Malay, Marathi, Mohawk, Mongolian, Navajo, Norwegian, Panjabi , Passamaquoddy, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Sanskrit, Serbian, Serbo-Croat, Sinhalese, Slovak, Slovene, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Taiwanese, Tamil, Thai, Tibetan, Tswa, Turkish, Ukrainian, Uzbekh, Vietnamese, Welsh, Wolof, Yoruba, Yucatec Maya, Zulu.
Group viewing area
The area next to Reception houses two LCD screens for group viewing of DVDs and BluRays, and a multi-region DVD/Blu Ray player.
The conversation room, adjacent to the OLCLAE Library, is available for small group work, Face-to-Face meetings, voice recordings etc. To book this room please ask at Reception. Digital recorders (for use in the conversation room only) can be borrowed from Reception. Recordings can then be transferred into various formats.