How to apply
Registration is simple. Please follow the steps below to apply for an IELTS test.
Before you apply, please make sure you read the IELTS essential information page.
To register for an IELTS test, please complete the online application form:
After submitting your application, you will receive an email providing you with the online payment instructions. Please make sure to check your email inbox and junk email folder. The University is no longer accepting cash payments. If you are unable to pay online, please contact us for assistance.
Test takers are required to upload a photo or scan of their ID at the time of registration. Please note that if you are using a Biometric Residency Permit (BRP) or other ID card, you will need to upload a picture of both the front and the back of your card.
Accepted forms of ID document:
- Passport - This must have your photo, name in English, date of birth, ID number and expiry date.
- National ID Card (for EU Citizens only) - This must have your photograph, name in English lettering, signature, date of birth and a unique number.
- United Kingdom Biometric Residency Cards
- Application Registration Card - issued by the UK Home office
- Asylum Registration Cards
Further information on accepted forms of ID document:
- If you cannot supply a passport/ID Card, you should contact us for advice.
- Student cards/drivers licences are not accepted forms of ID.
- You must bring the original document on the test day - the SAME ONE as you used for your application form. If you do not bring the same document with the same ID number as on your application form, you will not be permitted to take the test and and your fee will not be refunded.
- If you renew, change or lose your ID document before the test, and are therefore unable to bring the same document, you must contact us immediately (before the test day) for advice.
- Copies of ID documents will not be accepted on the test day and no refund will be granted under these circumstances.
A final email confirmation will be sent to you once we have received your application and checked that your payment has cleared. This may take some time although we usually do not require longer than 48 hours to confirm your test. The confirmation email will contain information where to arrive for your test, at what time and what to bring. Please make sure you check the inbox for the email address you provide us as this is the main way we correspond with candidates.
Cancellation and refunds
You may cancel your IELTS registration up to 24 hours prior to taking the test by notifying us in writing (by email). Cancellation emails must include:
- your full name;
- your date of birth;
- the test date you are cancelling.
- If the cancellation request is received within 14 days of making a payment ('cooling-off' period) and more than 14 days before the test date, a full refund will be given.
- If the cancellation request is received within 14 days of making a payment ('cooling-off' period) and between 14 days and 24 hours before the test date*, a refund will be given, minus a £50 administration fee.
- If the cancellation request is received after the 'cooling-off' period (14 days after payment), and between 14 days and 24 hours before the test date*, a refund will be given, minus a £50 administration fee.
- If the cancellation request is received within 24 hours of the test date*, no refund will be given.
*Cancellation or transfer requests must be made before close of business (5.00pm GMT) on the Thursday prior to the test date on Saturday to qualify for a refund.