Frequently asked questions

Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about our General English course.

How do I apply?

Full details of how to apply can be found on our how to apply pages.

What is the minimum and maximum period of study?

The minimum period of study for our General English course is five weeks.

The maximum period of study is 30 weeks.

The General English course is not suitable for advanced students (C1-C2 on the CEFR). You will be advised during the application process if the course is suitable for you.

What evidence do I need to submit with my application?

You must submit evidence that your English language level meets the entry requirements for the level you are applying to. If you require a UK Student visa you will need to have scores equivalent to B1 in each skill in a UKVI IELTS test (IELTS 4.0) taken at UKVI approved IELTS centres globally.

We also require a copy of your passport.

If you have previously studied in the UK you must submit a copy of your previous visa as this may impact upon any future UK visas.

Further details can be found on our how to apply page.

How can I pay my fees?

You can pay your deposit (and balance of fees) online once we have received your application and made you an offer. Information on how to pay will be sent to you directly.

Sponsored students must provide evidence of sponsorship (certified letter of sponsorship/financial guarantee).

See our how to apply pages for further information.

How old do I need to be to study on this course?

You must be 18 years old at the start of the course to be eligible for study.

Do I need a visa to study on this course?

You must hold valid immigration permission (a visa) that allows you to study in the UK. From 1 January 2021, EU/EEA students who have not applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and who are not Irish citizens also need to apply for a study visa.

More information can be found on the Student Support visa guidance page.

Can I take the IELTS test during my studies?

The University Centre for Academic English is a regional IELTS test centre and students can book on to a test during their studies. As a student on the General English course we can offer a discounted IELTS test. 

To view available test dates please see our IELTS pages.

What kind of accommodation is available for students on this course?

Details about available accommodation can be found on our accommodation page.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

Procedure for complaints

We hope you enjoy your course and experience at the University Centre for Academic English. However, if you do have cause to complain, please follow the steps below and we will do our best to resolve your complaint.

Procedure for complaints flow chart