English for Academic Purposes
Course: ULEN20001/2 English for Academic Purposes (Semester 1/2)
- Course code: ULEN20001 (Semester 1), ULEN20002 (Semester 2)
- Credits: 10
- Mode: TBC
- Pre-requisite: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
- Co-requisite: Students can take either ULEN20001 or ULEN20002. These courses cannot be taken together.
- Taught during: Semester 1/2
- Timetables: Visit the Timetables page.
You will explore the nature of academic English with classroom input. You will look at a number of key academic skills in English, including writing from listening, synthesising sources you have read, and giving oral presentations.
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- recognize a range of basic functions in academic writing;
- analyse the grammatical and lexical patterns of such functions;
- produce extended written academic text that draws on an appropriate range of academic writing functions.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level C1 of the Common European Framework.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- make oral presentations using appropriate media for a target audience;
- write a synthesis of a set of texts.
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars, 3 hours per week.
- individual oral presentation (30%);
- coursework essay (maximum 1,500 words) (70%).
Materials to be provided by the tutor.
ULEN20001: ULEN20052 Advanced English Language in Use, or any other course at IELTS level 7.0 or above.