Advanced English Language in Use
ULEN20052 - Advanced English Language in Use (Semester 2)
- Course code: ULEN20052
- Credits: 10 credits
- Mode: online
- Pre-requisite: IELTS 7.0 or equivalent
- Co-requisite: none
- Taught during: Semester 2
- Timetable: Visit the Timetables page
- develop their English language skills in the four areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking;
- enhance their knowledge of the language system (grammar);
- refine their usage of the language.
They will engage in reading a collection of short stories in the English language, discuss the texts and have a chance to write about them. They will also conduct some research of English language media to produce an engaging presentation.
On successful completion of this course, students should be able to
- recognise and use a wide range of complex grammatical structures and varied lexical structures;
- communicate articulately on a wide variety of intellectually stimulating topics;
- show knowledge and competences expected in order to pass the Cambridge Proficiency Exam (CPE).
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at Level C2 of the Common European Framework.
On successful completion of this course unit, students should be able to:
- appreciate issues nuance and stance in a range texts;
- identify key points in texts;
- use knowledge from texts to support and enrich their own writing and presentation skills;
- approach CPE tasks with confidence.
Teaching and learning methods
- seminars for 3 hours per week;
- self-study sessions on set text and presentation preparation;
- support material available on Blackboard.
- online group oral presentation (30%);
- coursework essay (maximum 1500 words) (70%).
Nature and timing of feedback
- Oral feedback given during and after classroom activities, including error analysis and language input;
- written feedback given on non-assessed written task (task fulfilment; textual organisation; accuracy; range of expression);
- global feedback given on assessed tasks.
- Objective Proficiency, Student's Book with answers and downloadable software, ISBN:9781107646377
- The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories, ISBN:9780241952863
Advanced Language Practice by Michael Vince (see reference copy in the Library).